Friday, July 13, 2012

Raspberry Explosion Scones

I am in love with my garden, but one of the best parts is something a lovely previous tenant planted, the tangle of raspberry bushes along the back fence. I haven't ever pruned them, but I will try this fall. Nonetheless  they have finally started to ripen after a damp June and while I let the sprinkler water the garden I managed to collect about 2 cups of them! They are really tart probably because of the lack of sun, but so SO good! Since they don't last long I threw them into these really yummy scones to make them last the week. 
Raspberries being sandwhiched into the scone dough. 
They are called raspberry explosion scones because not only are raspberries mixed into the batter, but the scone dough is also rolled a bit thin so that I could sandwhich an entire layer of raspberries inside (thanks to Joy the Baker for the idea)! Its so good, and you really do get a lot of raspberry per scone bite. Although I admit they are a bit messy, still really nice warmed up for my breakfast each morning this week. 

Backyard harvest, raspberries, pak choy, kale, radishes and snap peas.
This picture is the other nights little garden harvest. And I have been sharing with the neighbours too.
I have to say this buttermilk scone recipe is off the hook, and my addition of orange zest is great with raspberries. Next time I may add coconut.

Raspberry Explosion Scone
Adapted from Joy the Baker

makes 8 scones


3 cups all-purpose flour


1/4 cup granulated sugar


3 teaspoons baking powder


1/2 teaspoon baking soda


3/4 teaspoon salt


1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes


1/4 cup vegetable shortening, cold and cut into cubes (if you don’t have shortening you can certainly substitute unsalted butter)


1 egg, beaten


3/4 cup buttermilk, cold


1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract


1 cup of raspberries, rinsed


1/4 cup buttermilk, for burshing


2 tablespoons granulated sugar


1 teaspoon orange zest.


Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F.


Mix the dry and wet ingredients together each in a different bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir one time with a fork, then stir in a few of the raspberries. Gently knead the dough together, and turn onto a flat surface.


Roll the dough about 1/2 inch thick, brush with buttermilk, sprinkle with sugar and then spread the remaining raspberries on half of the dough. Fold the dough over, creating a raspberry sandwich of sorts. Slice into scones, and transfer to baking trays with parchment. Bake about 15 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment