I was craving oatmeal chocolate chip, and morphed them into Monster Cookies, also known as Kitchen Sink cookies (as in everything but).
Starting with a basic drop cookie recipe just pick your favourite trail mix ingredients and go. I had chocolate chips, peanuts, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds lying around, so in they went!
Your basic cookie recipe is one part butter, one part white sugar, one part brown sugar. Then add one egg, a tsp vanilla. Next add dry to wet; 2 parts flour and a tsp of baking soda and salt. Then mix in your fixings! When I add oats I take out a 1/4 cup of flour, so it doesn't become too dry.
This recipe is adapted from Joy of Cooking Quick Oatmeal Cookies.
1 cup butter*
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1 cup chopped peanuts
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1. Cream together butter and sugar.
2. Add eggs and vanilla and beat together.
3. Sift in flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and mix together.
4. Add oats, and mix.
5. Add in whatever extras you like!
6. Place tblsp sized pieces of dough on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 C for 12-15 mins, or until golden brown around edges and on top. Remove from oven and cool. Enjoy!
I like to make my cookies big! This means they can take up to 18 mins to bake, just be sure to check on them. Also there is no need to squish them down, they spread on their own.